Friday, May 18, 2012

Recipe: Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie

Just typing that title out was a mouthful!  But when you finally get a mouthful of this delicious smoothie, you won't even mind a bit.  ;)

I made this smoothie this morning and it was absolutely delicious!  I also love smoothies because it's such an easy way to "sneak" things into your day without even realizing it.  ;)


Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie (the way I made it):

2 cups milk (though you could use almond or soy milk)
1.5 cups oatmeal (I used two individual packets of regular and 2 packets of blueberry oatmeal, uncooked)
2 bananas
10-14 strawberries
1 tbsp local honey
2 tbsp Chia seeds (love these!!! Sneaky sneaky ;))
4 capsules of Echinacea (opened and powder dumped for extra immune system support.  Sneaky sneaky! ;))


You could add anything you want to!  If I would have had some spinach, I would have added that.  Also, I don't like mine too sweet, so I only added 2 tbsp of honey; you could add either vanilla extract or sugar or more honey if you want.  Just add all the ingredients together and blend to perfection!  I like mine cold so I poured it over ice and drank it with a straw.  You could blend the ice right into it if you want.  My husband was sleeping, so I didn't want to wake him.  :)


Here are some photos from my smoothie-making process this morning.


Our awesome Hamilton Beach blender we got as a wedding gift.  Love this guy!



 Yummy!



Using local honey.  The Wildflower Mix has honeycombs right in it!


Chia seeds.  My new best friend.  They are supposed to aid in weight loss as well as many other awesome health benefits (like lowering blood pressure!).

All photos were taken on my android phone with the Camera FV app (free in the android market!) and edited with Pixlr-o-matic (Also free!  Filter: Bob,  Frame: Scrap).

I'm not usually a fan of "liquid breakfast" but it was nice to drink this yummy smoothie and reduce my normal breakfast by half.  (1 egg, 1 turkey bacon, 1 toast)

Let me know if you end up trying this!  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  :)

Have a great day!
~Nikki

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise